Aerial view of the University in 1929: “the unrivalled site upon which we stand”.

Item

Title

Aerial view of the University in 1929: “the unrivalled site upon which we stand”.

Creator

Aerofilms

Date

26 September 1929

Description

“We trust and believe that the buildings which are to rise upon this site will become the home of high ideals and lofty purpose and of unfailing efforts for the advancement of learning, the improvement of industry, and the betterment of civilisation.”, welcome address [16, p. 92] by Frank Gilbertson at the foundation ceremony, 19th July 1920.

Most of the “temporary” science “pavilions” built to the west of Singleton Abbey between 1922 and 1925 lasted more than 50 years [15, p. 98]. Student numbers [15, p. 119] grew from 89 in 1920-21, to 382 in 1925-26, reaching 485 in 1930-31, just after this photograph was taken

Rights Holder

www.britainfromabove.org.uk/cy/image/WPW029746, image used under license, © Royal Commission on Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales.