In 1902, a Reading Room and Institute was opened at No. 1 Commercial Buildings in Tylorstown with an aim of providing "social and intellectual improvement" to the residents. The Reading Room contained daily and weekly newspapers and magazines in both English and Welsh, and by 1906, the library had 400 books on its shelves.
In 1933, the existing Welfare Hall and Institute was opened on East Road, with a library and reading room. Many books from the library are now held at the South Wales Miners' Library at Swansea University.
Like any library, Tylorstown Institute Library had their own set of rules and regulations governing borrowing.
Date stamps inside the books reveal that the collection at Tylorstown was well used. Below are some of the books that were evidently popular with the library's patrons.